6th & 7th
Our humanities, or enrichment, program was two class
periods that combined English and Social Studies. For two years, Mr. Kinloch
drilled us with grammar so that by the end of 7th grade we could
identify every word in the sentence. Over two years we compiled a full journal
of grammar rules and practices. We were little 7th grade grammar
monsters running around the halls of our middle school. Until 8th
grade when we lost those journals and forgot all we learned.
9th grade
I vividly remember the little slips that Mr. Black
would hand out in the beginning of each class. On one side the top would be
headed with a specific element of grammar and then 2-4 incorrect sentences would
follow. We would have to correct them, and then flip the paper over to enjoy
some relatable comic and then blank lines to fill in some notes given verbally
by Mr. Black.
Sophomore year of college
Oh, Faber’s history and structure. Her book was one
of my best purchases because it clearly stated all I needed to know about
grammar. Her class consisted of the whole skill and drill routine. I liked it,
I was good at it (maybe some credit can go to my past teachers’ drills). I
liked it though because it seemed mathematical to me- there was a specific,
right process to follow that, if done correctly, you can always end up with the
right answer. BUT, who will ever ask me to diagram a sentence or even name
every word in a sentence?
Although I like all those practices and see the
importance in doing them, Noden’s approach seems more useful in the long run.
As a teacher I want students become strong writers and use their ability to
write towards their advantage, a skill that can put them above the rest, and I
think by incorporating grammar into the writing process will not only provide
students with more writing practice but also demonstrate how grammar comes
together rather than pulled apart. I’m not saying I wouldn’t enjoy seeing my students
“sentence diagram” race on the chalkboard (oh wait, this is the 21st
century I mean SMARTboard) or relish in my students ability to dissect every
subject, verb, predicate, etc in a long Thoreau passage because I would and I
would probably brag about it. However, once they leave my class how many
students will remember or even apply all that I taught them? If I can
incorporate grammar into an unavoidable, endless practice (and a practice I
want my students to excel in), I feel like that approach would be much more
beneficial.
and because my brushstroke is action verb:

Love the Potter grammar comic ^_^
ReplyDelete