Monday, October 1, 2012

Text Satellite

http://prezi.com/-pnvg8k6vbiy/text-satellites/

Well this was fun (and I mean that with all sincerity). It's amazing how simple it seemed before I actually started it, however I think I am happy with all my text selections. I'll highlight a few for you:

My main text is Kuntsler's World Made By Hand. It's a dystopic novel which tells the story of a small town in New York after the world ran out of oil. People must resort back to the old ways before electricity, cars, and every other luxury we take advantage of today. I chose this novel because I think it'd be something different for my students. It's so realistic that it's hard to put down. Also it stirs up great discussion of our world today and where it may be in the next couple of decades. Lastly, this book proposes a future outcome for America, and my students will be the ones to experience and/or deal with these possible outcomes so I think they need to be aware of what's being talked about out there.

Along with Kuntsler's novel, I wanted to link excerpts from his non-fictional book The Last Emergency (which World Made By Hand stems from). Students should read Kuntsler's research behind his novel. I have also attached Kuntsler's TED speech to give students an alternative to The Last Emergency. Through his novel and non-fiction book, I want to tie in primarily the themes of dystopia, over consumption, and a world after the oil peak.

So at this point my students have been Kuntsler'd out, so I'd like to bring them into more familiar territory by bringing in those great kids movies that have a great lesson. I pulled out The  Lorax and Wall-E to provide examples of world after over consumption.  From here my other themes, like man's self destruction, isolation, leadership, and trust, tie in.

From there I try to connect texts to target all my different learners by incorporating games, magazine articles, music, art, etc. I want to put a little bit of everything so I have an oppurtunity to engage all my students. Also a variety of texts makes a unit ten times for interesting for me and my students.

1 comment:

  1. Bethany,
    I loved thinking through the possibilities of these texts!
    Here's what intrigued me: Your central text. I have not read this, but now I feel I must own a copy! I love the premise (since it is, of course dystopic, and that's one of my "things") but also the opportunity it presents. I thought the Lorax was brilliant as well--I hadn't considered it before, but it seems so perfectly suited here. You have a knack for choosing some really interesting art as well. I loved the image of the vulture on the abandoned trailer-truck.
    What I'm going to steal: The Lorax quote (and probably segments of the book, your art, and potentially, your central novel :)
    Additionally: Remember Jane McGonigal? She made a game called "World Without Oil"--this would fit perfectly with your unit.

    ReplyDelete