![]() |
| http://fantaasiatoidab.deviantart.com/ |
"Ordinary. Wizarding. Level. Examinations. More commonly known as O.W.L.'s. Study hard and you will be rewarded. Fail to do so and the consequences may be… severe." -Dolores Umbridge
Test day- it's what a student thinks (s)he is in school for. I can just picture it now:
Teacher: "Students, why are we learning this?"
Students (in unison minus maybe 3 students): "To do well on the test."
What?!
Although this
scene may seem a bit exaggerated, I’m here to vouch that it in fact is not.
Monday morning I headed into room 218. After a morning journal to get their
little pencils (and more importantly-brains) moving, it was time to introduce
the week’s vocabulary words, and the teacher asked why it was important to
learn and understand the meaning of these words. All the students thought they
had the right answer so hands simultaneously and excitedly rose. However the
answer (at least to me) seemed far from correct. Answers varied in word
selection but could be summarized to the student response from the example
scenario above (“To do well on the test”). So it was very easy to picture that
scenario because, well, it happened. While sitting in room 218, my heart kind
of broke. I tried to keep my mouth from dropping and keep all the hundred
little “why’s” fluttering around my brain from escaping out of my mouth. Have
students become that conditioned that everything they learn is for a test? Is
this the perfect example of Pavlov’s classic conditioning, and students are
just scared of Dolores Umbridge’s “severe” consequences? Whatever happened to
knowledge for knowledge’s sake? And my questions would ramble on but I’ll exert
some self control.
Okay, I know students must be assessed. I know test
are necessary, and not the root of all evil BUT I feel they have been weighted
too highly. So, objective tests may be a small branch from the root of all
evil. It probably originated from the tree of good and knowledge but after some
cross pollination by some political botanists it now grows from one of those
roots of evil. (Dramatic? A bit) As Gallagher noted how standardized tests are
killing readers, I feel standardized tests (and other sorts of objective
testing) are killing students’ desire to learn, or at least warping their
desires. Objective testing (when it comes to English), in my own opinion,
disadvantages students’ abilities to think critically and creatively. I have
always loved literature because there is not one right interpretation, there is
not only one right answer. Objective tests take that away. There is only one
right answer, and if a student gets it wrong it is assumed that they don’t know
or understand.
That then leads to me to the authentic assessment.
Where it allows students to run off with creativity but also requires them to
think critically. Also it’s not a test, so students can’t say they are learning
something “for the test” because, guess what children, there is no test (holla
at cho boy). Papers and/or projects are sometimes daunting, but isn’t test day
just as scary. I’m sure 5th (it’s 5th year right?)
Hogwarts students’ stomachs turn endlessly on O.W.L.E day (Slightly Off Topic
note: Another one of my complaints about objective testing conditioning. Students
are scared of tests? Should they not be confident in what they have learned and
now know?) I think authentic assessment, although far from easy to do, relieves
some of the nerves of test day. They get to work through their nerves and dig
deeper into their thoughts and ideas. I just never want my students to be
scared of a Professor Umbridge and the consequences of not doing well on an
objective test. I love creative minds- and want my students to use theirs, and
feel they can do that best through authentic assessment. And lastly, I never
ever ever ever ever (and it’d go on if I had all night) want my students to
think they are learning something simply to get the correct answers on a test
(I don’t think my heart could handle that much breaking). Yuck.

Bethany, I really enjoyed reading this post!
ReplyDeleteI had a similar experience to the one that you had in room 218. It was in a 10th grade non-college bound class during their The Great Gatsby unit. The class was watching the movie to supplement the reading, and *spoiler alert* they just saw the part in which Myrtle is run over.
All of a sudden, they all started asking: "Hold up! Why'd she get run over? Why'd that just happen?" Instead of encouraging their interest and curiosity in discussion, the teacher just waved her hands at them and said: "Stop asking questions! Just be quiet and watch the movie."
I could not believe it, but I'm confident in our new generation of teachers. Let's change the tide!